Skip to main content

Create / Taking Time to Pause

“Wait, pause…don’t take any sudden actions or make decisions before you have given yourself a moment to think, or maybe even run that thought by a fellow or friend.

This advice was so foreign to me, it was like watching a cow flying past me with a set of wings. I couldn’t digest the idea of “waiting” when I had learned that by taking fast action, my problem could be solved. Not only was the problem solved, but I didn’t have to sit and wonder what was happening. Sitting still and wondering made me feel so uncomfortable. In my past world, I was always in a reactive mode instead a responsive one. In the book “Don’t Worry, Make Money”, author Richard Carlson, Ph.D. states:

“The reactive mode is one that feels stressful. In it, we feel pressured & are quick to judge. We lose perspective and take things personally.”

Over time, the word pause became part of my vocabulary, and when broken down the word can mean:

P- postpone A- action U- until S-serenity E-enter s

Currently, I no longer take “immediate action” in order to solve a problem, respond to an email or text, and doing this has saved me valuable resources, in both time & money. I know that if I take my time to answer an email, text, or a comment, all parties involved win. When I was involved in a court case re: a property settlement, I learned that I didn’t always need to respond to the lawyers right away. Sometimes, even waiting a period of 24 hours to reply has always brought me new awareness & insight.

Pausing can take practice, as so many of us ( myself) are used to taking action and getting things done. We can start doing this in small ways, and by doing so, build up to bigger pauses, until we start to feel at peace with the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Letting Go of Negative Emotions

Emotions are conscious mental reactions (such as anger or fear) subjectively experienced as strong feelings usually directed toward a specific object and typically accompanied by physiological and behavioral changes in the body.” Adapted from Merriam-Webster 2024 Why is it so important to acknowledge our emotions as visitors & let them go? By working through these emotions and feelings, we are able to recognize, and process them ( let them pass through our system) then let them go. If we ignore or deny our emotions that doesn’t mean that they will simply “go away”. For some of us this can possibly work for a short period of time, especially if we push them so far back into our minds ( the closet of our bodies). Pushing our emotions away can only work for so long, because once that feeling is awakened and activated, it can come back out in full force. Over time, negative emotions that are stuck with us can cause internal illnesses or depression. In order to move th...

Create / Me By the Sea

      There is a woman that lives by the sea     I am that woman & she has become me     The ocean she loved, for so long & so much     She lives now close by, close enough to touch     She visualized and felt it, day after day     Soon the ocean called her, it had found a way     Her house is  a snug one, with a terracotta roof     Her dreams did come true, here was the proof.     Two bedrooms, large bathroom, an office to work     Snug and serene, with all her pets and her perks…     I am that woman that lives besides the sea     I became her, because of her vision of me.      

Create / Recovering My Creativity

Growing up with an addicted & mentally ill parent caused me to hide many needs & desires, and “people-please” in order to feel accepted as survival mechanism. As an adult, hiding those needs and desires caused me to feel blocked, and unsure about myself in many social situations. The things that I saw & experienced shaped my future behaviors, I was always putting the needs & desires of others before my own , and not putting my dreams & goals first. " " In the past six months, during coaching sessions with my peers, the same blocks/issues came up over & again. They consisted of not giving myself permission to create, and shine as my Higher Power wants me to. Another major block came in the form of wanting to try/do new things, then losing interest the moment I pursued the desire. " " Recently wondering why I seem to not be able to break through a “creative block”, a memory has resurfaced. In my childhood home, behind the garage, t...